Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tamron SP 400mm f/4 LD-IF 65B



After a lot of time spent with the Tokina 300mm f/2.8 MF telephoto, I realize I just about always have at least a 1.4x tele-converter attached. I would be better off with a 400mm. In my search for a possible alternative, I have come across another rare manual focus telephoto lens! The Tamron SP 400mm f/4 LD-IF (65B) adaptall. Also, it can be had for a good deal less money than the Nikon 400mm f/3.5. So I will be letting my Tokina go and exchanging it for this 400mm! My initial sweep for information has pulled up very little data and even fewer samples. I will be sure to ameliorate this. Review and tests coming soon!


The above image is temporary and from the Adaptall home site (with some retouching of course!) which has a good write up and the optical formula:
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/65B.html

Also a small blurb of translated garble here:
http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_url_content?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tamron.co.jp%2Fdata%2Fa2-lens%2F65b.htm&.intl=us

2 comments:

  1. I own one of these lenses> Great, Great, Great is all I can say about this one. I typically use it with a 1.4 TC giving me 560mm@5.6.\

    Duane Horne
    Member photo.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duane, have you tried this lens with any other TCs such as Nikon or Canon's best offerings? I have been wondering whether I can use a Nikon TC-14b with this lens since the Tamron is hard to find and when I can find one, costs nearly what the Nikon does! Not to mention the rarer Tamron 200f (2x).

    ReplyDelete