Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tamron SP-200 2x Teleconverter Sample Images

Cardinal (cropped)
Tamron 300/2.8 with Tamron SP-200 2x TC @ f/16

Over the Easter holiday, I spent the afternoon over at my aunt and uncle -in-law's home. The weather was simply amazing and they just happen to have an array of bird feeders in the back yard. So I brought over my D600, the Tamron 300mm f/2.8 107B and the SP-200 2x teleconverter. I set up about 50 feet from the bird feeders, beneath the deck umbrella, and set the tripod in such a way so as to allow me to fully lounge, whilst still being able to preview my images through the viewfinder. Throw in a tall sweating glass of iced sweet tea, and we just might have my absolute favorite moment of the spring so far...

I've not done a whole lot of birding, so forgive my ignorance in the matter. These images are more to further demonstrate the quality one can achieve using the Tamron SP-200 and one of Tamron's oldest 300/2.8 lenses, even today. I have done some minor color and exposure adjustments but no sharpening has been added.


Cowbird (cropped)
Tamron 300/2.8 with Tamron SP-200 2x TC @ f/11

Gold Finches
Tamron 300/2.8 with Tamron SP-200 2x TC @ f/16

Above: I realize the composition of this image is strange. It was actually done to demonstrate the off-axis sharpness that can be achieved with the SP-200. Have a close look at both the Finches and the details in the anti-squirrel plate for the bird feeder, located in the bottom left side of the image.

Woodpecker (slight crop)
Tamron 300/2.8 with Tamron SP-200 2x TC @ f/11

Woodpecker (cropped)
Tamron 300/2.8 with Tamron SP-200 2x TC @ f/11

1 comment:

  1. These images are truly stunning! It looks like f/11 is a sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete