Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rainy Day Special


I don't have a whole lot to say today since I will probably be on my way out to shoot some more droplets and so forth. We are having one of our wettest seasons in years. Literally, it will rain for a week solid, and sometimes longer. The sun setting at 4:30pm doesn't make getting out to shoot any easier. Regardless, I have been itching to get outside so bring on the trash bags and rubber bands! I had my entire macro rig, the vivitar 90mm f/2.5, 1:1 converter, D700 w/ battery grip, SB-600, and a large homemade softbox in the trash bag with only the lenshood peeping out. Not only that, I went out before my shower, in athletic shorts, a hoodie, oversized DJ headphones, and long socks and shoes. Even I thought I looked ridiculous. Here are a few of my shots, uncropped. I simply love that lens.

4 comments:

  1. amazing detail..

    I only just discovered this Vivitar lens!
    I was after the Tamron 90/2.5 Macro 52B, but now I am reconsidering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. waylan-

    I actually have yet to try the Tamron 90/2.5 (52B or 52BB). I have read it's quite sharp but I am skeptical about its performance wide open. I'm sure it is sharp but many of the Tamron lenses I have used from that era show a fair amount of aberration (especially CA) at max aperture.

    Also, be cognizant of a possibility of CCD flare with the Tamron 90/2.5 on modern DSLRs. I have read that when shooting with this lens in more extreme lighting conditions, a low-contrast disc can appear in your image. The hypothesis is that the disc is a result of extraneous light reflecting off the sensor, onto the rear element, which is flat, and then back onto the sensor. See the thread below:

    http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-90-2-5-52bb-help-for-ghosting-test-with-canon-450d-t29947.html

    If you have the opportunity for either this Vivitar or it’s Tokina relative, don’t hesitate. You won’t be disappointed! Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this lens, It was purchased new by me in the 80's still in mint condition complete with case, box and paperwork. It's for sale if interested?

    ReplyDelete